As we all know, “Ballistic missile” is crucial for any country’s defense program. Recently India tested the Agni-Prime missile developed by Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) from Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam island off the Odisha coast on June 7, 2023. The report says that the missile test was successfully conducted.
India has already conducted several Agni missiles including Agni 4 which has been inducted into India’s defense program. This was the first pre-induction launch of the Agni Prime conducted by the tri-services Strategic Forces Command(SFC).
Background on Agni Prime
|7 April 2013
|7 June 2023
|9 July 2006
|3,500–4,000 km (Operational)
|15 November 2011
|7,000–8,000 km (Operational)
|19 April 2012
|11,000–12,000 km (Under-development)
Agni Prime is a Medium range ballistic missile (MRBM) incorporating technological advancement from older Agni 4. It is lightweight and it is reduced by half. Agni Prime is developed with the purpose to replace older Prithvi, Agni 1, and Agni 2. India tested the Agni-Prime and the development of the Agni-Prime started way back in 2016 when India felt the need to replace Agni 1 and Agni 2.
Key Features of Agni Prime:
- It is two staged Canistered missiles.
- The missiles are 10.5m tall and 1.2m in diameter and carry warheads up to 1.5 tonnes.
- It can be fired up to a distance of 1000-2000km with carrying warheads.
- It has a dual redundant navigation and guidance system.
- It is a surface-to-air missile weighing 12 tonnes it can be fired at the speed of 2.5km per second.
The Flight Test
India tested the Agni-Prime on June 7, 2023, from Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam’s island off the Odisha coast. The launch was done after the three successful development trials of the missile. Validating the accuracy and reliability of the test, the missile was equipped with range instrumentation like Radar, telemetry, and Electro-Optical Tracking Systems deployed at different locations.
The successful launch of the Agni Prime Was witnessed by the Esteemed officers of the DRDO and Strategic Forces Command who closely monitored the trajectory and performance parameters. Two down-ranged ships were deployed to capture the flight data covering its entire trajectory.
Agni Prime’s capabilities strengthen India’s defense preparedness, reinforcing its position as a technologically advanced nation in the realm of ballistic missile systems. One of the most successful aspects and noteworthy achievements of the test had the capability to replace older versions of the Agni missiles by enhancing the targeting ability with warheads and long-range.
Significance and Implications
- The Agni-Prime will gradually replace the Agni-I (700 km) missiles in the arsenal of SFC, which also has the Prithvi-II (350 km), Agni-II (2,000 km), Agni-III (3,000 km) and Agni-4 (4,000 km) ballistic missiles.
- Agni Prime is an MRBM That ultimately is going to help India to tackle its neighboring enemies like Pakistan And China.
- The cauterization of missiles reduces the time required to launch the missile while improving its storage and mobility.
- It also comes with the technologies found in the 4000-kilometer range Agni-IV and 5000-kilometer range Agni-V. The new Agni P can be used to target enemy warships in the Indo-Pacific.
- Agni Prime is developed to achieve maximum maneuverability and capability of accurate and precision strikes against the target.
- Agni Prime is a lightweight medium-range ballistic missile that provides a supersonic speed of 2.5 km/s and higher maneuverability.
- IGMDP was aimed at making India self-sufficient in missile technology. The program has five missiles P-A-T-N-A: Prithvi, Agni, Trishul, Nag, and Akash.
As India tested the Agni-Prime missiles they will be used in two Front-War keeping China and Pakistan in mind. However, Post Amid the Missile test China and Pakistan are really frightened as the missile can reach any corner of Pakistan within a few seconds.
The government of India details its position in a statement released by the official Press Information Bureau in April noting, “The Pakistani threat is only a marginal factor in New Delhi’s security calculus. Agni is at the heart of deterrence in the larger context of the Sino-Indian equation.”
Future Developments and Conclusion
After the Successful test of the Agni Prime missile conducted by DRDO and Strategic Forces Command(SFC). The Indian government and the DRDO are planning to develop ICBM- Inter-continental Ballistic Missile Agni 6 which will have the ability to destroy any corner of China with a range of 11000- 12000 km.
So far we have discussed India tested the Agni-Prime and the key features of the Agni Prime along with the technological advancement of the missile. The successful induction of the Agni Prime will be a game-changer for India from a Strategic point of View.
This was all about the Post, for further information and updates keep stay in touch with our blog https://defencemaniac.com/.